Monday, December 19, 2011

Hppy Chrstms

A month and a half ago I threw myself into the holidays.  I put up my tree, started listening to Christmas music, planned and threw a holiday party, started wearing a Santa hat occasionally.  It was a magical time.  The store was sparkly and full and customers were cheery and kind.

Now it is one week before Christmas.  Though I always hope to avoid clichéd seasonal stress, there comes a point when you cannot.  Each morning, I feel like I am preparing for a marathon (though I have never participated in a marathon, I imagine it takes practice, endurance and planning.  Like my work days).  I gather myself mentally.  "One day at a time," I tell myself.  "Just put your head down and get through today."  Though of course, with smiles and enthusiasm and friendly gestures.

The customers have lost their cheerfulness.  Many customers talk to me like I am the seasonal help.  They are assuming I don't know anything, which is less than they usually expect.  They don't believe anything I tell them and scoff over my attempts to keep the peace between customers.  You know, dwindling merchandise, lines.

So, Happy Christmas.

The candy canes are still wasteful.

No comments:

Post a Comment