Saturday, February 12, 2011

designing woman

Yesterday I was helping a customer pick out an ottoman. We were looking at the different coverings and discussing how they might look on the finished product. The more we talked, the more I realized that she thought I was actually some sort of designer. Bless her heart.

Then again, she may have just been setting up the situation so that she could start talking about her daughter, who is a designer. It's a pretty classic scenario: the wealthy mother bringing her daughter shopping because the daughter is assisting with a remodel or whatever. "She's a DESIGNER in CALIFORNIA!" the mother will say, "Thank goodness I have her! I don't know a thing about any of this design stuff. My daughter hates everything about the house. We are completely redoing it! And she's giving us a discount!"

Anyway, the customer was very sweet and I was very modest and it made me think I should read a book about color theory or interior design or at least look at some damn nesting magazines.

Wow. Inspiration.

2 comments:

  1. LOL @ "And she's giving us a discount!" what a great daughter they have

    ReplyDelete
  2. To widely generalize different patterns of behavior based on economic status: poor people will do things for free for friends and family because they are "family". Rich folk will give a "friends and family" discount and the recipients of such services gladly pay.

    ReplyDelete