Friday, January 4, 2013

Customers and Neighbors

Just before Christmas, I realized that one of the customers that I posted about recently is also a neighbor.  They live on my block.  In fact, when I look out my living room window, I can see their house across the street.

I was going for a brisk walk on Christmas morning and was amazed to see the garbage and recycling being picked up.  I am always interested to know who works on holidays.  I was thankful that I had the day off and thought the rubbish picker-uppers somehow noble to let us not be inconvenienced by the holiday and to keep up our routines.

Heading back to my house, I walked past the customer's house.  The husband appeared at that moment and walked, with purpose, to his next door neighbors and knocked.  Someone appeared almost instantly and the customer asked something like, "did you get a note about this (gestured to the garbage and recycling on the curb)?  aren't they going to pick it up?" and then made some joke about union negotiations.

Now, I don't expect everyone to treat Christmas as a blessed sacred day.  And I am fine with the garbage being picked up.  But geez.  Customer needs something better to do than bitch to his neighbor about garbage service at 9 in the morning on a holiday day.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? AM I OVERLY SENSITIVE? PROBABLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment