Thursday, January 3, 2013

next

I rarely talk too much to customers and I try especially to avoid my personal life unless it results in a teachable moment.

But today one of my favorite customers came in and inquired about my life.  It was thoughtful and appropriate and I was very touched that she cared enough to remember that I am a person.  I almost didn't say anything because I didn't want to bore her with anecdotes, but then I remembered that sometimes people actually like to hear about other people and maybe she is one of those, so I told her something.  We began a brief discussion while I was ringing her up.  That is the important part:  While I was talking, I was completing her transaction.  During no part of my story telling was I just standing there talking.  

Well, suddenly another lady appeared and lined up.  She heard me talking and let out an audible sigh and mini eye roll.  She was in line for a minute, MAYBE two at the most.  I am not even exaggerating.  Later, I timed out 2 minutes and ran through the motions of what I was ringing up for my favorite customer.  I even went a little slower than I would have and it was NOT LONG AT ALL.  AND, if you remember from my 2nd paragraph, I was working and talking.  Lady in line was just being a crazy passive aggressive bitch.  

At first I felt guilty that she had to wait.  I felt like I had done something wrong by talking about myself.  But now I'm just really pissed at sighing eye roller lady.  She was NOT in line long, I was speedy with my transaction while I was talking, and I quickly processed her when it was her turn.  I am sure she is just pissed because she thinks I am an idiot who stands there and talks about my boyfriend all day and keeps people waiting while there parking meters expire, which is not true at all.

I AM SO SORRY YOU CAUGHT ME HAVING A DECENT, ENRICHING HUMAN INTERACTION.  I WILL TRY NOT TO DO IT AGAIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment