Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tales from the other side of the counter

Yesterday I went to Riteaid and bought a 60 quart Rubbermaid storage container. I decided to go with the clear one so that I could actually SEE the shoes that would soon be inside. I had to have one NOW because I am trying to organize my room. I have a lot of clothes and little storage and it looks, as LOLcats might say, like my closet "sploded."

So, sassy lady clerk checked me out and when she handed me the receipt, I saw that the tote rang up for $2.70 more than the price advertised on the shelf. I have this happen all the time at my work: something has gone up in price and signage has not been updated. I don't make a big deal about it. I confirm the sticker price and then refund the customer. But Riteaid is a clusterfudge of disgruntled employees, shoplifters, and people buying candy with foodstamps and cigarettes with loose change. When no one met me in the storage solutions aisle as sassy clerk promised they would, I left. I was in a hurry and chose to give up the $2.70.

Today was a different story. I went back to get another container for more of my apparel and accessories. I chose the young male clerk with the delightfully pukey green shirt and loud tie. When the tote rang up at $18.99 and I said they were $16 something on the shelf, he gave me a death look and asked if I really wanted him to go check. And of course I did. His silent condemnation shamed me. I wanted to say something, to tell my story and explain why I need to save every penny I can, but I knew it wouldn't make any difference. I was being THAT customer. The best thing to do was to be silent except for "sorry," "debit," and "thank you."

Everyone gets their chance to be the asshole. We can still try to make it as painless as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment